Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Quick Tuesday night shopping trip

I think this was my first decent shopping trip in almost a month because of the birth of my son. Like I said in a previous post, we have very generous friends who supplied us with meals for 2 weeks. Between those meals, the leftovers from those meals, and my well stocked pantry and freezer I really haven't had to do any grocery shopping besides milk, bread, and produce. So Tuesday I finally sat down and made time to go through my pile of coupons that has been accumulating on my kitchen counter and browsed the e-coupons at Kroger. I plan to go shopping again later in the week and really work the coupons but I needed to get a few things Tuesday night that were going off sale that night.

Here's what I was able to get --

Albertsons:
3 jars of Miracle Whip -- $5
2 bottles French's spicy brown mustard -- $3
3 packages of Oscar Mayer hot dogs -- $2.97
4 bottles of Suave Conditioner -- $3.64

Total: $14.61
Coupons: $4
Out of pocket cost: $10.61

It doesn't sound like I saved a lot with coupons but everything was on sale so I was already getting good prices even if I didn't have coupons for some of the items.

Kroger:

2 gallons milk -- $6
Tortilla Chips -- $2.29
4 pkgs shredded cheese (8 oz each) -- $6.00
2 pkgs Always Maxi Pads -- $5.98
2 tubes Crest Toothpaste -- $3.88
4 bottles Pert Plus Shampoo/Conditioner -- $10

Total: $34.15
Coupons: $19.36
Out of Pocket Cost: $14.79

I used the e-coupons at Kroger for the first time on this trip and was pleasantly surprised that they worked. I'm always skeptical about something that has to be linked to me electronically. I prefer actual coupons in my hands so that I don't forget about them.

No comments: