Friday, February 22, 2008

Last Month at Tom Thumb

Like I said before, I rarely shop at Tom Thumb. However, when I can find things on sale that will be free or close to free with coupons I will make a quick trip over there. Usually, though, their sale prices are higher than their competitors and quite often their true "loss leaders" can be found at Kroger as well so I just make one trip to Kroger instead of a trip to both stores.

A few weeks ago, though, I got a GREAT deal at Tom Thumb. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures at the time and now everything is put away. So you'll just have to use your imagination.

They were having a deal where if you bought 5 packages of BallPark hot dogs you would get a coupon at the register for $10 off your next purchase. I went one day and bought just those hot dogs -- they were $2.50 per package. (I also had $1.98 remaining from some other deal on my Tom Thumb card so I only spent $10.52 out of pocket for the 5 packages of hot dogs. I went back a few days later and used the $10 coupon plus a manufacturer's coupon to get another 5 packages for a total out of pocket cost of $1.70. PLUS I earned another $10 off coupon. So I went back through the store one last time for some other groceries. Here's what I got:
6 cans (18 oz each) of Quaker Oats
1 jar Ragu Pasta Sauce
1 jar Skippy Natural Peanut Butter
4 boxes (18 bags per box) Bigelow Tea
After the sale prices, the manufacturer's coupons, and the $10 coupon from Tom Thumb I ended up spending 27 cents out of pocket on those items. Not a bad day at Tom Thumb!

No comments: