Tuesday, February 26, 2008

File your taxes for FREE

Free....I think that's my favorite word in the English language!

There are a couple of ways you can file your federal taxes for free. One way that I've used in the past is to go to the IRS website and click on "use free file to prepare your taxes". That will take you through a series of questions to determine which company you can use to file for free. It's based on your income. One warning -- I've had problems with some of these companies in the past not calculating my taxes correctly. Sometimes one company will tell me I have a refund of $xx and another company will tell me I have a refund of $yy. How can that be when I input the same information?? So always double check your return to make sure everything looks right.

This year I was able to use Turbo Tax for free through State Farm. If you have insurance or a credit card with State Farm you can do your federal filing for free, too! Just go to State Farm's website and sign in. On the left side of the screen you will see where to click to file taxes for free. It was quick and easy for me! If you need to file state taxes I think you will have to pay for those. I live in Texas and we don't have a state income tax so I don't have to file with the state. After e-filing my federal taxes through Turbo Tax I received my refund (via direct deposit) in my savings account within 8 calendar days. Super fast!!

No comments: